Sunday, January 23, 2011

Family Dinner ...

... To Celebrate Nancy's Birthday -

- I told Nancy that I would make dinner, and for her to take the day off

- Mango-Avocado Salad. I also made a mango dressing to with the salad. I couldn't find any ripe mango in the produce departments, so off to Costco. I was able to get fresh cut spears.

- The main course was Shepard's Pie. I really enjoyed how this turned out. I use beef gravy instead of tomato sauce.

- We had two cakes. Nancy whipped one together that is a chocolate vegan cake. Her recipe produces a moist and risen cake. It is hard to tell that there are no eggs in the cake. I made the frosting by using a milk-free margin, powdered sugar, and a little water. It was quite tasty.

- Chocolate Hazelnut Banana Cake. I made the cake pictured above. It is a banana cake. each cake was cut in half, and I put nutella in between the two halves. Whipped cream and strawberry puree between the two 9" rounds, and the same on the top. It was a big hit.

- I changed the recipes a little, and I got them from the Blog, Mennonite Girls Can Cook - check out all the recipes posted.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

You did an excellent job!! Thank you for your thoughtfulness and the whole weekend was so fun!! You're a good man Charlie Brown, I love you!!!

Sherri said...

Looks like the perfect day! You are a chef!